Minimum Viable Product
As stated in the high-level goals, the first release aims
at being a Minimum Viable Product (MVP). This means that there are important
features we know we want and need, but are post-MVP; these are in a separate
essential post-MVP features document. The MVP will contain
features which are available today in modern web browsers and which perform well
even on mobile devices, which leads to roughly the same functionality as
The major design components of the MVP have been broken up into separate
- The distributable, loadable and executable unit of code in WebAssembly
is called a module.
- The behavior of WebAssembly code in a module is specified in terms of
instructions for a structured stack machine.
- The WebAssembly binary format, which is designed to be natively decoded by
WebAssembly implementations, is specified as a
binary encoding of a module’s structure and code.
- The WebAssembly text format, which is designed to be read and written when
using tools (e.g., assemblers, debuggers, profilers), is specified as a
textual projection of a module’s structure and code.
- WebAssembly is designed to be implemented both by web browsers
and completely different execution environments.